5.2 Refinement Cont.

Posters

ContactSheet-DVPT2_order

Hunt, Madison. Refinements towards final. 18th Aug, 2017.

Notes

Based on the feedback from the second interim presentation, I have refined my two posters. The ‘dictionary’ poster did not need much work, apart from the type scale/meaning and the image scale/position. I had a few variations that I could them determine what works best. The woman ripping the page may not need to be there, the ripped pages could be enough to portray the emotion and objection towards the use of the words. I think that the words in the first variation were too much and it was hard to fit with the image without it feeling cramped. The meaning of the word “misogyny” is literally “hatred of women”. I thought that ‘misogyny defined’ would be a stronger headline that plays off the image. The body type makes the connection to New Zealand.

Misogyny Reference

The ‘dolls’ poster was difficult for people to understand, I had to make it less complicated while still keeping the Russian doll metaphor. Instead of using multiple animal labels, I decided to just use dog/bitch as I think it is the most frequently used derogatory term. My first poster development didn’t work out too well, the detachment of the dogs head felt odd with the woman (an illustration I used from my other posters). I also kept the headline almost the same, but the ‘beast’ changed to ‘bitch’.  I made the dog a solid instead of outlines and put it behind the women, this reinforced the inside-outside/layers of Russian dolls. This simplified version still contained a strong message, adding the collar shows that women are not animals and should not be objectified or devalued. That the language used is a core problem. I am now working in the smaller details, considering fundamental design principles and ihi/wehi.

 


Class Review

Continue to work on A2 format. Consider macro/ micro detailing – image, text meaning, type, kerning, rags, widows etc.

Advertisements
Standard

5.1 Interim Presentation #2

Posters

I had gotten some mixed feedback on these posters. It appears that my style and concepts are good but the imagery is a bit complicated for a poster. For the first poster I need to simplify it or change the aim slightly to fit ‘language – animal labels on women’ (being more specific). After all the work I have done on this poster, I would still like to continue with the Russian dolls idea. I could possibly just use a woman and a dog/bitch to make it eye-catching and clear.Not many people understood what is meant by ‘beast’, however my tutor said it was aggressive and had strong juxtaposition to the ‘woman’ text. If I changed it to just the woman and dog ‘dolls’, the text could change to ‘woman not bitch’ which would still hold the same effect.

The second poster was received better, the only feedback I had on that was to make it more dynamic and have larger text. Similar problem with dictionary headline/body copy; it is too small and the ‘Close the chapter’ doesn’t relate to what the woman is doing, which is ripping the pages. There needs to be more careful consideration to how the texts works with the images, I think there is still a bit of work to do before I get to a final outcome.

Standard